Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Which Fruit Molds the Fastest?
Which fruit molds the fastest?
- A variety of fruits that have the same starting “shelf life” from the store. For best results, keep the experiment controlled by getting freshly-picked fruits of the following types: Citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruit); hard (apples, pears); squishy (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries); and bananas.
- Plastic baggies
- Fruit knife
- Location: Please choose a moist location like a bathroom or a basement to speed up mold growth.
- Pen and paper for notes
- Carefully put the fruits in their own separate plastic baggie and take these to a moist location in the house such as a bathroom.
- Over the course of a week or so, you should start seeing mold beginning to form. Jot down your daily findings.
- Be sure to take photos. Ask yourself these questions: Which fruit did I first notice mold growth? Which fruit had the most mold? Are there any difference in the colour of the mold?
- After at least one week (longer may be better) observe your results and wrap up with an educated conclusion based on the experiment
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.