Grade Level:6th to 12th; Type:Social Science, Psychology, Health and Medicine
This project explores whether chewing gum can help a majority of people with focus and concentration.
- Does chewing gum increase people’s speed and accuracy on simple cognitive tasks?
Educators have found that chewing gum can help children struggling with problems related to ADD/ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). Is it possible that chewing gum can help all of us with focus and concentration?
- Computer, printer, and paper
- Pencils for test-taking
- Chewing gum
- Test subjects
- Paper and pencil for recording and analyzing data
- Write and print copies (one copy per test subject) of two simple subtraction worksheets.
- Have subjects do each of the two worksheets. Subjects should chew gum while doing ONE of the worksheets.
- Record how long it took each subject to complete each worksheet.
- Score the worksheets for number of problems correct.
- Analyze your results. Did chewing gum increase people’s speed and accuracy on subtraction tests?
- Try the experiment in different environments, with different test subjects, and under different circumstances, keeping in mind these questions and any others that come up in the course of your research:
- Does chewing gum make more of a difference in certain environments (e.g. noisy, crowded, or otherwise distracting environments)?
- Does chewing gum make more of a difference to people of certain ages or genders?
- Does chewing gum make more of a difference at certain times of day (e.g. early morning or late afternoon)?
- Does chewing gum make more of a difference before or after certain activities (e.g. just before lunchtime or after physical exercise)?
Terms/Concepts: Chewing gum, concentration, focus, ADD, ADHD
Disclaimer and Safety Precautions
Education.com provides the Science Fair Project Ideas for informational
purposes only. Education.com does not make any guarantee or representation
regarding the Science Fair Project Ideas and is not responsible or liable for
any loss or damage, directly or indirectly, caused by your use of such
information. By accessing the Science Fair Project Ideas, you waive and
renounce any claims against Education.com that arise thereof. In addition, your
access to Education.com's website and Science Fair Project Ideas is covered by
on Education.com's liability.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all
individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea
should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental
or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all
materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For
further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.