What's the Difference?
Students will be able to count back to find the difference.
- Write large numbers 1 through 10 on construction paper and give 10 students one number to hold in front of the class.
- Write the subtraction sentence "7 - 5" on the board.
- Ask the student who is holding the number 7 to hold it up high.
- Then ask students which direction should we go to subtract 5.
- Once students agree to count back, ask the child holding the number 6 to step forward.
- Next ask the student holding the number 5 to step forward. Continue these steps until 5 students have stepped forward.
- Write "2" to complete the subtraction sentence "7 - 5= 2."
- Tell students that today they're going to learn about counting back to find the difference.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Read aloud the following word problem: "Josh has 9 pencils. He gives 4 pencils away. How many pencils does Josh have left?"
- Introduce the number line to model the word problem.
- Show how to start at the first number, 9, and count back by the second number, 4.
- Repeat the activity for 8 - 3 = 5 and 6 - 4 = 2.
- Tell students that the number you end on is the Difference.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Cut the number line sheet into strips.
- Distribute a number line and a copy of the Subtraction worksheet for each child.
- Help students work through the first problem.
- Have students put a finger on the first number and count back moving each step on the number line.
- Work through the first three problems as a class.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Have students work through the exercises on the worksheet independently.
- Enrichment:For advanced students, let them complete the exercises independently without the number line.
- Support:For students who need support, help them to use the number line in a small group or one on one setting.
- Observe students as they use the number line or any other strategy to subtract basic facts.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask students to explain how you find the difference for 11 - 6.