What's in Your Community?
Students will be able to describe their communities.
- Ask students what they see in their neighborhoods.
- Tell students that the people and places in their neighbourhood make up their communities.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Read aloud This Is My neighbourhood.
- Ask students to make connections between what they see in the book and what they see in their neighborhoods. Have students turn to a partner and share one thing that is the same and one thing that is different.
- Have the group come back together and share their comparisons.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Tell students that they will be drawing pictures of the people, places, and things in their communities.
- Show students how to draw pictures of houses, stores, and community members.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Hand out the papers to each student. Have them work independently to complete their community pictures.
- Talk with students about the things in their neighbourhood that they can include in their pictures before they start drawing.
- Dictate descriptions of the students' neighborhoods.
- Assess how students are noticing the aspects of their communities.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Display the community pictures around the classroom.
- Have students go on a "gallery walk" to check out each other's pictures.