Under: Sight Word Fun
Students will be able to identify and spell a common sight word.
- Sing the Under action song to the tune of London Bridge is Falling Down: I put my hand under my chin, under my chin, under my chin. I put my hand under my chin. This is under.(Place hands under chin.) I put my hand under my desk, under my desk, under my desk. I put my hand under my desk, this is under.(Place hands under chin.) I put my hand under my chair, under my chair, under my chair. I put my hand under my chair, This is under.(Place hands under chair.)
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Write the word UnderOn the board.
- Spell the word with the students.
- Ask what they think UnderMeans.
- Tell them UnderIs a positional word that means beneath something.
- Give an example: If there is a ball beneath a table, then it is under the table.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Instruct students how to play the Under My Roof game.
- Direct your students to make arches with their hands in pairs.
- Have other students walk under the arches while singing the Under song.
- When you say "stop," instruct the class to freeze and say who is under each roof (arch).
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Give your students the Over and Under worksheet.
- Instruct them to only colour what is under the tree and under the clouds.
- Enrichment:Encourage your students to say what letter each item under the bucket begins with.
- Support:Have your students move objects above and below their desks. While they are doing this, say the positional words such as over and under for them.
- Check your students' completed work to see if they only colored the things that were under.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Invite your class to gather around an upside down bucket.
- Place an item under the bucket, and describe it to the class. If you are doing a letter of the week, use only items that begin with that specific letter.
- Emphasize that they cannot see the item because it is UnderThe bucket.
- Describe the item, and have the students guess what it is.