The -Ig Word Family
Students will be able to identify and spell words in the -ig family.
- Ask your students if they know how to spell Pig.
- Show your students a picture of a pig.
- Tell your students that pig is spelled P-i-g.
- Ask your students if they know any words that rhyme with Pig.
- Going off of their responses, explain to your students that today they will learn about the -ig word family.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Show your students the The Big Pig Song.
- Tell your students that these words are in the same family because they all end in -ig.
- Have your students list the -ig words from the video.
- Show students the images of the words to reinforce the -ig word family.
- Ask your students to match the images with the words.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Give each student at least seven index cards of the same colour with the ending -ig written in black.
- Give each student index cards in various colors with the consonants B, P, W, TW, D, and F.
- Ask your students to create the -ig word family by combining the index cards.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Provide students with the Word Families -ig worksheet.
- Read the instructions to the students.
- Give the students time to complete the assignment.
- Enrichment:Ask your students to use the -ig words in written sentences.
- Support:Give the students only four -ig words to work with.
- Walk around the room, and have your students read their index cards to you.
- Collect the worksheet for grading.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Have the students come together as a group.
- Ask each student to tell you one -ig word.