The Giving Tree: Identifying Story Elements
Students will be able to identify basic story elements.
- Tell the students they will be listening to a story called The Giving TreeBy Shel Silverstein.
- Project the Story Elements Organizer for the class to see.
- Review what each element is and how it is identified in a story.
- Explain to students that they will be required to fill out the organizer after listening to the story.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Read aloud The Giving TreeTo the class, pausing during reading to think aloud about the story elements as you notice them in the text.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Hand out the Story Elements Organizer to the class.
- You may have the students work independently or in pairs.
- Walk around the room to monitor students and help as needed.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Hand out The Giving Tree worksheet to the students.
- Arrange the students in pairs and have them complete the worksheets.
- Enrichment:Students who finish early during Independent Working Time can be assigned the Parts of a Tree worksheet.
- Support:Pair students who need support with more advanced students. Allow struggling students who need support to draw rather than write their answers in the organizer.
- Collect the completed organizers and worksheets. Review them later to assess student understanding of the lesson content.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Close the lesson by playing Shel Silverstein's narration of The Giving TreeFor the class.