Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
- Students will review basic geometric shapes and learn about composite shapes.
- Review the names of geometric shapes with students. Either show students plastic shapes and have the class name them or draw and label the shapes on the board. Shapes should include rectangle, triangle, circle, hexagon, square, and trapezoid.
- Describe TangramsTo the class as a picture puzzle that is solved by fitting different shapes together.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Explain that when shapes are put together they can make up bigger, different shapes, or even pictures.
- Show the class a tangram and go through how to solve it while it is on display for the class to see.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Have students practise making different shapes by putting different geometric shapes together with a group.
- Show students the Plane Figures worksheet and explain how to complete it.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Pass out tangrams to students and allow them to complete the puzzle.
- When students have finished their tangram, and checked it with you, give them a Plane Figure worksheet to complete.
Enrichment:Have students use the advanced tangrams work pages. Alternatively, these students can complete more than one tangram.
Support:Have students partner up with another student and work together on the beginners tangrams.
- Students will be assessed by the shapes they create using the tangrams and their completed worksheet.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have students share different shapes they made with the tangrams.
- Ask the class for any final questions they may have.