Tell Me About a Telling Sentence
Students will be able to identify, critique, and rewrite telling sentences correctly.
- Hold up the pictures in front of the class.
- Ask students to tell you different things about the pictures.
- Write their sentences on the board.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Tell the class they just gave you Telling sentences, or sentences that share information about something.
- Tell the students what a telling sentence should contain when it is written down: It should tell a complete thought, the first word in a sentence must begin with a capital letter, and the sentence should end with an end mark such as a period.
- Read aloud the sentences you wrote on the board.
- Ask students if each sentence has the three things a telling sentence should have.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Introduce the doctor puppet.
- Tell students he needs their help to fix sentences.
- Show the poster with telling sentences that have errors.
- Let the puppet remind the class about the three things a telling sentence should have.
- Have the puppet ask the class what is wrong with each sentence.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Tell students they are going to look at sentences and decide if they have the three important parts of a telling sentence.
- Give each student 5 pre-made sentence strips with correct and incorrect sentences on them. Explain that students will sort them into two categories: correct and incorrect.
- Monitor them as they sort.
- As you walk around, ask students what is correct or incorrect about each sentence.
- Enrichment:Give advanced students more sentence strips to sort. For example, they can sort 10 sentences instead of five. Let them work in pairs to write their own incorrect sentences for a partner to correct.
- Support:Give students who are below level less sentence strips to sort. For example, they can sort three sentences instead of five.
- Give students the Fix the Sentences: Kitty CatWorksheet.
- Read the instructions and sentences together as a class.
- See if students correctly fixed the errors in the sentences to check for understanding.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Toss the ball around the class.
- Tell the class that when you say freeze, the person who has the ball must say one thing they have learned about telling sentences.