Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Teach About Odd & Even Numbers
Students will be able to articulate what even and odd numbers are.
- Draw 10 apples on the board. Say, "I want to share these apples between two friends. Will we have an even or odd number to share?"
- Solicit ideas from the class. Take a survey and write down how many students think there is an even/odd number of apples.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Tell students that EvenNumbers can be divided equally into two groups. OddNumbers have one left over.
- Draw two people on the board. Equally divide the ten apples into two groups by drawing one apple under each person until you get to 10.
- Tell students that 10 is an even number because each person could have five apples.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Write the number 7 on the board.
- Have students turn and talk to a partner to decide whether 7 is even or odd.
- Ask students to share whether 7 is even or odd. Then write the number 27 on the board. Ask students to turn to their partner to decide whether 27 is even or odd.
- Come back together to discuss whether 27 is even or odd. Explain that 27 is 20 + 7. 20 is an even number and 7 is an odd number, so 27 must be odd. Demonstrate this by drawing pictures on the board.
- Tell students that even numbers end with 0, 2, 4, 6, and 8. Odd numbers end with 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Explain that students are going to work in pairs to teach kindergartners about odd and even numbers.
- Each pair should complete a poster that can be used to teach younger students. The poster should include pictures, numbers, and words that teach about the concept of odd and even numbers.
- If time permits, or on another day, have students present their posters to pairs of kindergartners.
Support:Have students use just pictures and numbers to describe odd and even numbers.
Enrichment:Have students write a script of what they will say to the kindergartners.
- Assess how students are explaining the concept of odd and even numbers.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Bring the group back together.
- Ask students to share their posters with the class.