Super Survival Skills
Students will identify main topics and supporting details in an informational text and organise the details by using a graphic organizer.
- Explain to students that they will be learning how to organise main ideas and supporting details by reading about survival skills.
- Have students brainstorm with a partner some survival skills they know and to make a list on a sheet of paper.
- Have volunteers share a few items from their list until all ideas from the class are shared.
- Tell students that you would like them to watch a video on how to identify edible plants in the wild which is an important survival skill.
- Watch Foolproof Wild Edible Plants #1.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Hand out the Cool Survival Skills worksheet and the Bubble Story organizer to each student.
- Read aloud the first section, How to Find North, to the class.
- Model how to fill out the Bubble Story organizer after reading the section. Point out that sometimes there is more than one main idea, and that you can find supporting details for each of the main ideas. Note: Do not have students fill out the organizer with you.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Arrange students into pairs and have them partner read the rest of the Cool Survivor Skills worksheet. Direct them to look for two main ideas and supporting details for each of the main ideas.
- Walk around the room to monitor students to make sure they are on task.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Refer students to the displayed Bubble Story organizer.
- Instruct them to fill out the organizer using a section other than How to Find North. Remind them to find two main ideas for the section, and to place them both in the centre of the graphic organizer.
- Enrichment:Encourage advanced students to research a survival skill not mentioned in the worksheet and present their research to the class.
- Support:Pair students who need support with students who understand the concept.
- Use the completed Bubble Story organizer as an informal assessment.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Tell students that using an organizer like the Bubble Story organizer when reading informational text is a great way to organise main ideas and supporting details.
- Take any final questions or comments about the lesson.