Subjects & Verbs Get Along
Students will be able to recall the definition of a verb. Students will be able to identify the subject in a sentence and determine the verb that agrees with it. Students will be able to apply the grammar rule for subject/verb agreement by matching the subject to its corresponding verb.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Play the Verb Rap SongTo review the definition of Verbs, or actions.
- Ask students to participate by acting out the verbs in the song. Get them excited about the lesson!
- Use the video to recall the definition of verbs, and introduce subject/verb agreement.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (20 minutes)
- Display the meaning of a Subject, or the person or thing being discussed, and ask students to repeat it.
- Show flashcards with subjects that are both singular and plural for students to read.
- Display and discuss the subject/verb agreement rule that verbs need to match the singular and plural subject versions.
- Place subject flashcards on the board in two sections to make a matching game.
- Ask students to come to the board to draw lines to match the subject to a verb that agrees.
Guided practise/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Place the subject flashcards on the board in two sections.
- Write a verb across from each subject as least a few inches away to make space for matching lines to be drawn.
- Line a few students up at a time in two rows.
- In a relay style race, direct each student to quickly draw a line from a subject to its matching verb and pass the marker to their teammate.
- The team with the most correct answers wins, or if both are correct, the team that finishes first wins.
- Discuss and correct any answers that are wrong, explaining why.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Distribute the Subjects & Verbs Get Along worksheet.
- Ask students to match the subjects to the verbs according to the singular/plural agreement rule.
- Instruct students to write the correct verb on the space provided that will agree with the subject in the sentence.
- Enrichment:For advanced students, instruct them to write new sentences for various situations around the room. Direct them to make sure that their subjects and verbs agree.
- Support:Have your students draw a picture to show whether the subject is plural or singular.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Collect the worksheet to grade.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Conclude the lesson with a game of charades.
- Direct your students to act out a verb given.
- Instruct the class to respond with a sentence with the correct subject/verb agreement.