Spring Into Spring!
Students will be able to name the changes of spring and identify clothing worn in the spring.
- Ask students if they know the four seasons. If they don't, tell them the name of each of the four seasons.
- Explain to students that the four seasons generally come with changes in weather.
- Tell students that they will be learning about how the weather changes during the spring and clothing worn in the spring.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Read the first six pages of Four Seasons Make a Year.
- Ask students what they remember about what was read. As students recount what they heard, write down their thoughts on chart paper.
- Discuss characteristics of spring, such as leaves sprouting on trees and rain. Refer to the book and point out the clothing people wear in the spring.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Tell students they will complete a worksheet about spring.
- Explain to students that they have to circle clothes worn in the spring.
- Point out pictures from the book to remind your students what typical spring clothing looks like.
- Pass out the worksheet and pencils.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Instruct your students to complete the Spring worksheet independently.
- Assist students as needed.
- Enrichment:Instruct your students to draw their own pictures of what happens in the spring.
- Support:Find pictures of real people wearing spring clothing to show to your students.
- During the activity, write down which students were able to circle the correct pictures with and without prompting.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Collect all materials, and have students sit down.
- Ask your students what they did in the activity.
- Have them recall what happens in the spring and the type of clothing worn in the spring.