Solid Shape Sort
Students will be able to identify different 3D solids given their characteristics.
- Pass out a set of 3D shapes to each group as well as the 3D Shapes worksheets to each student.
- Define a shape's FacesAs its flat sides, a shape's EdgesAs the line where two faces meet, and a shape's VerticesAs the point where two edges meet.
- Having students stay in their groups, have them examine the 3D shapes together to identify the number of faces, edges, and vertices each has.
- Have students then look at the 3D Shapes worksheet to determine the names of the solids shown.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Ask students to think about the characteristics of each shape and how it determines how the shape could move. For example, can the shape roll? Can it be stacked?
- Have students volunteer their thoughts and test them with the set of 3D shapes.
- Review the number of sides, edges, and vertices each shape has once more.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- With a partner, invite children to use the characteristics of the shapes to play I Spy.
- In this game, students should take turns identifying solids by listening to clues such as, “I spy with my little eye something that can stack.”
- Children get three guesses before another attribute is added, such as “I spy with my little eye something that can stack and has 6 faces.”
- The student who guesses will have to explain how he or she knows. They will then give clues for the next object.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Students will work independently to complete the 3D Shapes worksheet.
- Enrichment:Advanced students may write a more detailed entry in their maths journals.
- Support:Allow struggling students to continue to use the 3D shapes as they complete the lesson.
- Ask students to hand in their worksheets when finished.
- Have students write 4 sentences in their maths journals about the characteristics of 3D shapes.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Bring students together to review the characteristics of solids and how we use those characteristics to sort 3D figures.