Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Signs and Symbols Scavenger Hunt
Students will be able to identify and describe the meanings of different common signs.
- Ask the students if they know what a sign or symbol is. See if they can give you some examples.
- Let the students know that they will be identifying signs and symbols in their community.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Show one index card at a time and see if the children have ever seen that symbol before?
- Ask them to identify each symbol's name and what it means.
- You may need to guide them through this conversation if the students are not putting forth answers and get stuck.
Guided practise(30 minutes)
- Have students begin a neighbourhood scavenger hunt. They'll try to see if they can find all eight signs/symbols.
- Try to see if the students can spot them first. Once the class identifies one, have them write down the name of the sign on the first line. For example: School Crossing.
- On the second line, they should write what it means. For example: This is where kids and adults can safely cross the street to go to school.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Have students practise writing the signs/symbols on their worksheet independently.
- When the students see the sign/symbol in public, they will place a check mark in the red box off to the left of the picture.
- Enrichment:Have advanced students create some signs or symbols for the rest of the class to find.
- Support:Pair each struggling student up with a student who has a stronger grasp on the lesson content.
- Have students turn in their Signs and Symbol Scavenger Hunt worksheets.
- Check to see if every student correctly identifies each sign and understands what each of them mean.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- As a whole group, go through the index cards again. You could call on a student to identify a sign/symbol and have him tell you in his words what it means.
- Ask the students why it is important to know what signs and symbols mean when you see them in the community.