Searching for Ethics
Students will be able to identify and provide examples of different ethical situations as they read fiction and nonfiction texts.
- Ask students to think of someone in their lives that they admire.
- Ask them to draw out and label the qualities that person has.
- Write the word "Ethics" on the board.
- Define EthicsAs moral principles that help guide a person's behaviour.
- Ask students to brainstorm the different morals displayed in their chosen people.
- Have students identify examples that display each moral listed.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Read A Cheating Crisis in America's SchoolsAs a class.
- Discuss the subject of cheating in the classroom as a class.
- Allow students to take a side of whether or not it is ethical to cheat and if it's necessary to report it if witnessed.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Have students discuss the behaviour of characters in their independent reading books.
- Ask students what kind of moral behaviors are adopted by the characters and how it affects tasks later on or what events it leads to.
- Take note of student responses on the board.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Allow students some independent reading time to find more ways the characters acted and how it affected later on events.
- This section could also be a homework assignment.
- Have students take note of when a character is acting morally or immorally.
- Enrichment:Advanced students may be given an example that is not considered ethical and be asked to rewrite the scene to make it an ethical example.
- Support:Struggling students may be given specific examples from a text and be asked to identify, by stating true or false, if that example is an ethical example from the novel.
- Read over student notes and watch for class participation to check for student understanding.
- If necessary, ask students to write a short paragraph or essay about what they learned today.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Ask your students to share what they learned today.
- Have students discuss what makes cheating immoral and what they should do if they see someone cheating.