Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Save The Earth: Recycle
Students will be able to describe the concept of recycling and identify items that can be recycled.
- Tell your students that today they will be learning about recycling.
- Ask your students why they think recycling is important.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Explain to your students that recycling is a process.
- Explain that we recycle to save the earth by reusing our waste to limit our dependence on Earth's resources.
- Explain to your students that recycling occurs in three steps. The first step is to collect and sort goods. Ask your students if they have a recycling bin at home. Ask your students what some items are that they put in the recycling bin. Record the answers on the board.
- Tell your students that the second step in recycling is manufacturing. Explain to your students that once the objects are collected and sorted, they are used to create new objects!
- Tell your students that the final step in recycling is selling! Tell your students that once the objects are manufactured, they are sold in stores.
Guided practise(30 minutes)
- Give your student the Create An Item worksheet to create an item out of a recyclable item.
- Ask each student to pick one item that they would like to create from the Create An Item worksheet.
- Give your students the appropriate materials to create the item they picked.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Ask your students to write the three steps of the recycling process.
- Ask your students to provide an example for each step using the object they created during guided practise.
- An example could be, I collected a bottle. I used the bottle to create a vase. I would sell the item to people looking to decorate their houses.
- Enrichment:Ask your students to create a board game using the Recycling: Create A Board Game worksheet.
- Support:Ask your students to play the board game created by the advanced students.
- Ask your students to write down five objects that they can recycle on notebook paper.
Review and closing(20 minutes)
- Put a recycling bin in the middle of the class.
- Ask each student to bring an item to the middle that could be recycled.
- Have each student do a "show and tell" for their item. They should show the class the item they brought and tell the class some items that could be created using their recyclable item.