Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Rolling in the Money
Students will be able to solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies.
- Explain to your students that today they will practise counting mixed coins and working on word problems with money.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Review with students by sequence counting by 25, 10, and 5.
- Demonstrate rolling the two premade dice, and instruct your students to practise counting the amount shown.
- Each time an amount is counted, write that amount on the dry erase board.
- Think out loud as you find the sum of the two rolled amounts on the dry erase board.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Group your students, and give each group a set of premade money dice.
- Explain that each student will get a turn at rolling the dice and say the sum of the coins shown.
- If they are correct, have them record that amount on their papers.
- If they are incorrect, explain that they lose that amount.
- Ask your students to each take at least two turns, adding decimals on their papers.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Give your students the Coin Challenge: City Trip worksheet to complete.
- Enrichment:Require students to count back the change to the original amount given. Have students create their own word problems from the school supply store or a recent purchase from home. Have them write each problem on an index card. Use these cards to play a board game, using the dice as a way to find out what they move to.
- Support:Make a note on the worksheet for each problem regarding how many coins are needed.
- Instruct your students to illustrate and count 3 ways to make a dollar in their maths journals.
- Have your students use at least 3 types of coins in each of the 3 combinations.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask your students to briefly tell you one thing they learned, one thing they remember the best about this lesson, or provide details on something they still have a question about.