Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Robert the Rose Horse: The Letter R
Students will be able to recognise words that begin with the letter R. They will also be able to recognise the /r/ sound in speech.
- Gather your students in a common area.
- Show them the cover of Robert the Rose Horse.
- Ask your students to notice the words "Robert" and "Rose."
- Ask your students to think of a colour that begins with the letter R.
- Tell your students to listen for words that begin with the /r/ sound.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Begin reading Robert the Rose HorseAloud.
- As you read the story, put extra emphasis on the words that begin with R.
- Ask your students to form a learning circle.
- Put chart paper on the floor in front of you.
- Ask the students to help you list words that begin with R. Possible words include: red, rose, run, rain, rat, rake, rope, and rabbit.
- If possible, draw simple pictures with your words for the children to refer to during the Guided practise game.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Tell your students to remain seated in a circle for a fun game.
- Show your students two or three roses.
- Tell your students to pass the roses around the circle while you play some music.
- When the music stops, the two or three students holding a rose will get to name a word that begins with R.
- Play the game until every students gets a turn to hold a rose and name a word.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Collect the roses and hand out the R Matching worksheet.
- Discuss the words and pictures with your students.
- Tell your students that they will draw a line from the words to their matching pictures and then write the words on the lines provided.
- Dismiss your students to their table spots.
- Observe and assist students who need support.
- Enrichment:Have above level students write and illustrate more words that begin with the letter R.
- Support:Provide struggling students with simple clues to help them complete the worksheet.
- During Guided practise, look for students who are following directions, playing fairly and giving examples of words that begin with R.
- During Independent Working Time, look for students who are matching the correct words to their pictures.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Invite your students to name some words that begin with R.
- Ask your students to give a thumbs up if a word you say begins with R. Recite the following: red, rose, run, bake, sun, rake, rope, hope.
- Invite your students to think of some more ways to practise reading words with the letter R.