Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Rhyming with Sam I Am
Students will be able to recognise and identify rhyming word pairs.
- Explain to your students that you will read a story with Rhyming words, or words that have the same ending sounds.
- Ask your students for examples of rhyming words. For example, HatAnd CatAre rhyming words.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Read Green Eggs and HamBy Dr. Seuss to your students.
- Verbally emphasize the rhyming word pairs as you read.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Ask your students to identify the rhyming words they heard in the story.
- Write down these rhyming words on the board.
- Next, write down the rhyming words from the story (one per card). Draw matching pictures onto other index cards for your students to match the words to. For example, on two index cards, you could draw a house and a mouse. You would write those words on two other index cards.
- Direct your students to match the words to the corresponding pictures, and have them match the rhyming word pairs as well.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Once your students are able to recognise the rhyming word pairs by themselves, have them work on the Phonics Fun: Rhymes with Socks worksheet.
- Give your students the index cards with pictures. Read out the words and have your students match the pictures to the words. Once they are able to identify all of the words and pictures, help them match the rhyming word pairs.
- Have higher level students replace Dr. Seuss's original rhyming word pairs with their own. For example, they could change "I will not eat them with a Fox. I will not eat them in a Box" to "I will not eat them with a Dog. I will not eat them on a Log."
- Make your lesson multimodal by including a reading of Green Eggs and HamOn your computer or tablet.
- Using the index cards, quiz your students on the rhyming word pairs.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask your students to give examples of rhyming words from the story.
- Have your students call out the answers to the Phonics Fun: Rhymes with Socks worksheet.