Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Rhyming with Humpty
Students will be able to recognise and create simple rhymes.
- Play Rhyming Words Match UpWith the help of your class.
- Sit students down and ask if anyone remembers a rhyming word from the game.
- Explain that today, the class will be learning about rhyming.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read Humpty Dumpty. Point out rhyming words throughout the story.
- When the nursery rhyme is over, have students retell the story pointing out the beginning, middle, and the end.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Give students a copy of the Humpty Dumpty Nursery Rhyme. Read the poem with the students and have them find the rhyming words as they read. Have them circle the words that rhyme with a crayon.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Give each student an egg shaped cutout with zigzag lines through the middle. Instruct students to use their scissors to cut the egg open.
- Now, give each student the yolk and instruct them to put glue on half of it and put it on one side of the cracked egg so it is sticking out of the top.
- Use the fasteners to connect the egg at the side allowing the egg to appear cracked when open and together when closed.
- Have students glue the poem of Humpty Dumpty on the egg.
- Students should then glue on two googly eyes and create a face for Humpty Dumpty.
- Then, read the nursery rhyme again and when it says "Humpty Dumpty had a great fall," instruct students to make the egg crack by opening it!
- Enrichment:Play a matching game! Give students picture cards of rhyming words and have them find the matches.
- Support:Some students may have difficulty cutting zigzag lines. Have these students cut on a horizontal line instead.
- Call students to the front of the room in groups of 2 and see if they can rehearse the nursery rhyme Humpty Dumpty!
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask students to identify two words that rhyme.