Place Value Party
Students will be able to distinguish between the tens and ones place value. Students will be able to use tens and ones blocks to make numbers.
- Call students together as a group.
- Inform the students that they will be learning about Place value, or a number's position.
- Inform students that each number represents a hundreds, tens, or ones place.
- To motivate and activate the students, play the Place Value Song.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Show Place Value year two.
- After the video is completed, show the students a tens block and ask them what it is.
- Show students a ones block and ask them what it is.
- Draw a tens and a ones house on the board.
- Write the numbers 15, 10, 22, and 8.
- Select one student at at time to come up to the board and count out each number using the tens and ones blocks.
- Then, ask the student to write the number in the tens and ones house correctly. For example, the first student should have 1 tens block and 5 ones blocks. The number 1 should be in the tens house, while the 5 should be in the ones house.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Arrange the desk into four stations.
- Use the Station Setup Template to help you.
- Number and label each area.
- Divide the class evenly into four groups and seat each group at a station.
- At each station, place four sheets of paper with the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4.
- At each station, place various amounts of tens and ones blocks on each paper.
- Give each student a Guided practise Student Sheet and a pencil.
- Have the students count the tens or ones blocks at their stations and record the amounts on their Guided practise Student Sheet.
- Direct your students to rotate and visit all four stations.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Give each student the Place Value: Tens and Ones worksheet.
- Read the instructions to the students and direct them to complete it.
- Collect for grading.
- Give the students the Addition With Tens Sticks worksheet. These word problems will give them more of a challenge.
- Give the students the Lacy's Place Value as their independent worksheet.
- Grade the worksheet completed during independent working time.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Play the Place Value SongAgain.