Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Pizza Time: Half Hour
Students will be able to write and tell time on the half hour using an analog clock.
- Call the students together as a group.
- Show students an analog clock set on the hour.
- Ask the students to identify the time.
- Tell students that one hour can be split in half to create a Half hour.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Draw a whole pepperoni pizza on the whiteboard.
- Ask the students how they would share this pizza between two people.
- Reiterate that in order to share the pizza equally with two people, it must be cut in half equally.
- Draw a dashed line vertically down the middle of the pizza.
- Draw an analog clock next to the pizza.
- Ask the students to count from 1 to 12 as you write the numbers on the clock.
- Place the Hour hand, or the shorter hand, on the clock half way between 1 and 2.
- Place the Minute hand, or the longer hand, on the clock directly pointing at 6.
- Tell the students that the minute hand is always on the 6 for the half hour.
- Tell the students that the clock says one thirty.
- Tell the students that one thirty is between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock.
- Demonstrate on an analog clock what 1 o'clock, one thirty, and 2 o'clock look like.
- Ask the students what two thirty looks like.
- Continue around the clock until all half hours have been demonstrated.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Provide the students with a white precut circle of construction paper that has a dashed line halfway through the circle.
- Ask the students to colour one half of the circle red.
- Ask the students to colour over that same half of the circle yellow.
- Provide the students will precut small red circles and glue.
- Have the students glue the red circles on top of the colored half of the circle.
- Tell students they have created half of a pizza.
- Give students plastic or paper clock manipulatives.
- Write the following times (10:30, 4:30, 6:30, 2:30, and 12:30) on the whiteboard one at a time.
- Call out the time, and ask the students to show the time on their clocks.
- Walk around the classroom observing the time on each student's clock.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Give each student the On The Half Hour: Telling Time With Malcolm Mouse worksheet.
- Read the instructions to the students.
- Have the students complete the worksheet.
- Collect the worksheet for grading.
- Enrichment:Provide students with the Time to the Half Hour (IV) worksheet.
- Support:Provide students with the Draw the Half Hour worksheet. The minute hand is already on 6. Instruct your students to draw the missing hour hand on each clock.
- Randomly give each student a time on the half hour.
- Ask the student to show it on the clock.
- Ask the student to write the same time on a sheet of paper.
- Give immediate feedback to the student.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask the students to verbally give examples of telling time on the half hour.