Phonics With The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Students will have a basic understanding of metamorphosis and be able to recognise the CSound.
The adjustment to the whole group lesson is a modification to differentiate for children who are English learners.
- Inform your students of the lesson's main topic: Metamorphosis, or how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly.
- Show them the cover of The Very Hungry CaterpillarAnd ask them what they think a caterpillar eats.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Read The Very Hungry CaterpillarAloud.
- Go over some things that can be learned from the book. Examples include: the different stages of metamorphosis, number sequences, vocabulary (specifically, the names of food and days of the week), and nutrition (specifically, the effects of junk food).
- To gauge student comprehension, ask questions such as "Why did the caterpillar get a stomachache after eating a lot of junk food?"
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Begin a quick Phonics(letter-sound correspondence) lesson by having students practise sounding out the letter C.
- Show them that the word caterpillar begins with the letter C. Sound out caterpillar, emphasizing the C Sound at the beginning.
- Ask the class to think of other words that start with C. Prompt them to think of words related to metamorphosis that begin with C (cocoon).
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- To review, ask the class what letter caterpillar begins with.
- Distribute the materials needed for the Phonics Fun: C is for Caterpillar activity. Then, have students work independently to complete it.
- Show struggling students pictures of things that begin with the letter C. Help them understand that C makes a CSound, and words that start with C usually have the CSound in them.
- Have advanced students write their own versions of The Very Hungry Caterpillar. For example, a student may write a version with a tadpole as the protagonist.
- An online video may be shown to help review the lesson. (see the Related books and/or media section)
- Ask the class to name the different stages of metamorphosis: egg, caterpillar, cocoon, and butterfly.
- Ask them again what letter caterpillar begins with and what sound C makes.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- If there's enough time remaining, show this animated video: The Very Hungry Caterpillar.