Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Olympic maths: Mean, Median and Mode Review
Students will solve for mode, median, and mean.
- Tell students that today for maths they will be reviewing mode, median, and mean.
- Explain to students they will be using Olympic event data to practise.
- If your students work better with visual representation of events, watch examples of each Olympic event before beginning the lesson, see the materials box.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Hand out the High Jump Mode, Median and Mean worksheets.
- Display a copy of the worksheet for the class.
- Arrange students into pairs.
- Review the meaning of Mode, the most frequent value, Median, the middle value of the set, and the Mean, the average.
- Model how to calculate the mode, median, and mean on the attachment for Russia's data set.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Have the paired students complete the worksheet.
- Place the Diving Mode, Median and Mean worksheet at an easily accessible area of the room and tell the students to have one person per pair pick up the worksheet when they are finished with the High Jump worksheet.
- Walk the room to monitor and help as needed while students work on the High Jump and Diving worksheets.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Pass out the Gymnastic Mode, Median and Mean worksheet for students to complete individually.
- Walk around the room to offer assistance and answer questions as needed.
- Enrichment:Challenge advanced students to research actual scores from Olympic events to create a bar graph of the winning scores.
- Support:Pair struggling students with a student who has a strong grasp of the lesson. Limit the assignment to one completed worksheet or limit the number of problems on each worksheet.
- Grade the Gymnastic Mode, Median and Mean worksheet to check for understanding of the lesson for individual students.
Review and closing(20 minutes)
- Arrange students into groups of at least 4 and have them play The Mean, Median and Mode Card Game.