Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Nursery Rhyme Songs
Students will be able to compose an original song with the words of a nursery rhyme.
- Read aloud the selected nursery rhymes.
- Tell students that Nursery rhymesAre short rhymes for children. They often tell stories and are passed down through generations.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Lead students in singing "Mary Had a Little Lamb." Tell students that "Mary Had a Little Lamb" is a nursery rhyme that has been set to music.
- Explain to students that they will be creating their own original songs using the words from nursery rhymes. The songs should include at least one instrument.
- Pick one of the nursery rhymes you read in the introduction. Compose an original song and perform it for the class.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Have students practise performing your song.
- Divide students into partners and ask them to share how they could have made a different song using the words from the same nursery rhyme.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- In the same pairs, have students pick one of the nursery rhymes to compose a song for.
- Using at least one instrument, have students practise their songs together.
- If recording devices are available, record students' songs.
- If students finish early, they can perform their songs for another pair.
Support:Have students compose a melody without using an instrument.
Enrichment:Challenge students to compose songs for several nursery rhymes.
- Assess how students are using music to express the nursery rhymes.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on students to share their songs or recordings of songs.