My "A" Dictionary
Students will be able to spell and define words that start with the letter A.
- Ask students to turn to a partner to share words that start with the letter A.
- Have students come back to the group and share the words they brainstormed.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Tell students that they are going to create a dictionary for A words. Explain that a DictionaryLists words and their Definitions, or meanings.
- Model how to create a dictionary entry for the word "apple." Define apple as a sweet fruit that grows on trees. Draw a picture of the apple.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Tell students that they can design dictionary pages however they like as long as they include the word, definition, and a picture.
- Ask for a student to come up and share how you could redesign the page you made for "apple," using the board to draft the new page.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Hand out five pieces of paper to each student. Tell them that they should create a dictionary page for five different A words.
- If students finish early, have them partner with another student to share their dictionary pages.
Support:Have students create dictionary pages for two A words.
Enrichment:Challenge students to create dictionary pages for 10 A words.
- Assess how students are spelling and defining A words.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on students to share their dictionary pages. Write the words students defined on a master list on the board.