Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Mr. Alligator Can't Catch Me!
Students will be able to represent subtraction by manipulating up to 5 objects.
- Tell your students that today they will be practising Subtraction, or taking away.
- Show students the video Five Little Monkeys Swinging from a Tree,
- Encourage students to sing along and use their fingers to practise along with the video.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Gather students in your group area and demonstrate the concept of taking away with counting manipulatives, such as 5 brown blocks and a bigger green block.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Assign one student to be the alligator and five students to be the monkeys.
- Write the corresponding subtraction problem on the board to demonstrate how to represent taking away.
Independent working time(5 minutes)
- Have students work on the 5 Little Monkeys worksheet independently.
- Challenge your students to use numbers higher than 5 to practise subtraction.
- Give your students manipulatives to practise subtraction. Have them count out the manipulatives one by one, using them as they complete the worksheet.
- Tell your students that they will have to "clean the room". Have them complete the Clean the Room worksheet.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Watch the video again while practising subtraction with small snacks such as fish crackers or fruit snacks.
- Discuss as a class how eating the snacks is similar to practising subtraction.