Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
More Than One: Irregular Plural Nouns
Students will be able to identify and write irregular plural nouns.
- On the board, draw a picture of a foot on one side and two feet on the other side.
- Ask students to tell how the pictures are alike and different.
- Label the pictures with the words FootAnd Feet.
- Discuss the spelling of each noun. Potential questions include: What do you notice about the spelling? How are the spellings different?
- Tell your students that today they will learn about irregular plural nouns.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Write the following nouns on the board: Man-men, foot-feet,And Tooth-teeth.
- Explain to your students that some nouns change their spellings to mean Plural, or more than one. Inform them that these special forms for more than one do not end in the letter S like regular plural nouns.
- Add the following nouns to the chart: Woman, child,And Mouse.
- Ask volunteers to give the plural form for each noun.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Remind students that some nouns change their spellings for the plural form of the object.
- Ask students to name other examples of irregular nouns.
- List students' answers on the chart.
- Write the following sentences on the board: The (woman) went shopping. The (child) ran down the hill. The (man) jumped over the fence. Did you see the (mouse)?
- Have students read aloud each sentence and make the noun in the parentheses plural.
Independent working time(5 minutes)
- Show your students the More Than OneVideo.
- Provide students with a copy of the Irregular Plural Noun worksheet.
- Read aloud the directions.
- Have students complete the worksheet on their own.
- Enrichment:For advanced students, instruct them to write their own sentences for irregular plural nouns. For example, have them write sentences about geese or mice.
- Support:Give your students the Plural practise worksheet.
- Ask students to write the plural form for various words, such as GooseAnd Knife.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Show students the More Than OneVideo again.
- Ask students to summarize what they learned about irregular plural nouns.