Mix and Match: What colour is That?
Students will be able to match objects to the correct colour categories.
- Look around the room, and point to various solid colored objects.
- Explain to your class that they will put common objects into colour categories.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Call out a colour, and have your students look around and find an object that is that particular colour.
- Have your students pick three items in the room that are the same colour.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Put your students into groups of 3-4.
- Give out the colour cards, and have your students match the objects to the colour name.
- Read the colour words aloud for your students before having them begin the activity.
- Direct your students to complete the activity.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Give your students the colour Red and Book of Red worksheets.
- Have your students complete it and make their own categories of different colors on the back of the sheet.
- Enrichment:Have your students try to sound out the words from the colour cards and then place them in the correct colour group.
- Support:Work on a more limited number of colour categories before giving your students all of the colour cards.
- During independent working time, walk around, making sure that your students are completing worksheets accurately.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have your students share their colour categories from the backs of their worksheets.