Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Measure It, Man!
Students will be able to measure objects to the nearest inch.
- Display the Inching Along worksheet somewhere the entire class can see.
- If rounding to the nearest inch is a new concept for the students, explain how to measure an object to the nearest inch.
- Complete the projected worksheet as a class by having students volunteer answers.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Pick out any 2 objects from the classroom that are not on the Measure It, Man! worksheet and, using a ruler, model to the students how you measure an object to the nearest inch.
Guided practise(20 minutes)
- Hand out rulers.
- Arrange students into pairs.
- Hand out one Measure It, Man! worksheet per pair of students.
- Tell the students that they will be going on a "scavenger hunt" with their partner by looking for objects in the room to measure with their rulers.
- Explain the directions to the students. You may want to tell them they can start on any object to measure so students are not waiting for an object to measure.
- Allow students to complete the worksheet as you monitor and help as needed.
Independent working time(5 minutes)
- Hand out the Buggy Bugs worksheet and have students work on it independently.
- Enrichment:Challenge students to measure objects in their room or at home and record their findings to turn in.
- Support:Pair a student who needs support with a student who is at grade level during the Guided practise activity.
- Check the Buggy Bugs worksheet for correctness.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- As review, create a group work station where students measure objects to the nearest inch and compare their answers with their peers.