Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Maths With Bears
Students will be able to complete addition and subtraction problems.
- Tell students that today we're going to read Bears on Wheels.
- Tell them to watch for number words. Ask students to see if they can do the simple addition problems that come up while reading the book.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Take out the gummy bears and give about 25 gummy bears to each student. They will use these gummy bears to add and subtract the bears in Bears on Wheels.
- Tell your students that they can eat these gummy bears later.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Read Bears on Wheels. You can use this book to teach your students number words as well as addition and subtraction.
- You can have the students follow along with the story by adding up the number of gummy bears along with the bears on wheels.
- Ask them how many bears they have throughout the story.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- After the students understand the concept of addition and subtraction, have them work on maths problems. They can use their gummy bears as counters.
- Pass out Gummy maths! and have students complete it independently.
- Advanced students can try two-digit addition and subtraction. practise Subtraction: colour in Mr. Bear can be used.
- Struggling students would benefit from one-on-one support and single-digit addition problems. They can use the gummy bears as their counters. Once they've mastered single-digit addition, you can then move onto single-digit subtraction.
- Read Bears on Wheels again. However, before revealing the total sum of bears, have the student add them up and tell you the answer before you flip the page.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Ask the students what addition and subtraction are. Ask them to give you examples of each.
- End the lesson by quizzing them with addition and subtraction questions.
- The students can eat the gummy bears after the lesson.