Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Maths Story Problems
Students will be able to use addition and subtraction to solve and create word problems.
- Tell students that today they will be solving maths problems using Word problems, or short stories about maths.
- Let them know that after they solve some word problems on a worksheet, they will create their own for another student to complete.
- Answer any questions students may have.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Model how to do a word problem with the class.
- Tell students they will come across the key terms In all, which implies that addition is needed for the problem, and Left, which lets you know that subtraction is needed.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Show students the worksheet and explain how you would try to solve each problem.
- Remind them to look for the key terms In allAnd Left.
- Tell students when they have completed their worksheet that they will come up with their own word problem and write it down for another student to solve.
- Emphasize that they need to use one of the key terms in their word problem.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Give students the worksheet to complete and allow them time to work on it.
- Hand out paper for students to write down their own word problems and allow them time to write.
- Have students partner up and trade word problems to solve.
- Enrichment:Students may make more than one word problem using both of the key terms.
- Support:Students may partner up with another student to get help completing the tasks.
- Students will be assessed by the correctness of their worksheet and their creation of a maths word problem.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Allow students to share their created maths word problems with the class.