Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
The Life Cycle of a Butterfly
Students will be able to identify the sequence of a butterfly’s life cycle.
- Draw a KWL chart on the board.
- Ask students what they already know about the life cycle of a butterfly. Fill in the "K" column.
- Ask students what they would like to learn about the life cycle of a butterfly and fill in the "W" column.
- Play Butterfly, Butterfly!.
- Pick out key words from the song, such as butterfly, caterpillar, chrysalis, and egg. Include a picture and a simple definition for each word.
Explicit instruction/Teacher modeling(30 minutes)
- Show pictures of real eggs, caterpillars, chrysalises, and butterflies to your students.
- Ask students to identify each.
- Read Busy Butterflies or From Caterpillar to Butterfly.
- During the reading, make quick pauses to check for understanding about the concepts in the book. Model a think aloud about how to make connections between the book and their previous experiences in life and what they've seen in the lesson so far.
- Have the students share with the class about any connection they might have between the text and any real world events.
Guided practise/Interactive modeling(20 minutes)
- After the read aloud, model to the class how to retell important details from the book. Discuss with the class what information is really important to remember, and what other details are not needed in this lesson.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Pass out the Life Cycle of a Butterfly worksheet and have students complete it independently.
- Enrichment:Give students the Draw the Life Cycle of a Butterfly worksheet to complete during independent working time.
- Support:Give students the colour the Life Cycle: Butterfly worksheet to complete during independent working time.
- Check the correctness of the students' worksheets.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Go through the KWL chart on the board and check off things in the "W" column that the class achieved in learning today.
- Add items to the "L" column to show students what they learned today.
- Review the life stages of a butterfly as you do this.