Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Letter Writing Fun
Students will be able to identify and write the capital letters of the alphabet.
- Invite students up one by one to dig through a container of alphabet letter magnets and place them in order on a magnetic surface. As they place the letter on the board, help them figure out what sound the letter makes.
- Tell students that today they will be practising recognizing and writing the alphabet.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Sit each student in front of a rice tray or sand table. Call out various letters of the alphabet and have students create the letter in the tray. Walk around the room to monitor student progress.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Pass out and have students complete the Alphabet Blocks worksheet.
- Enrichment:Give students a blank piece of paper with 26 lines on it and have them write the alphabet independently.
- Support:For students having difficulty filling in the alphabet, write the correct letter in highlighter or yellow crayon and have them trace over it.
- Assess student's ability to write the alphabet during the independent work time.
Review and closing(15 minutes)
- To end the lesson, seat students on a rug and show them a cupcake tray. The tray should be filled with cupcake liners that have letters written in them.
- Present students with beans that have capital letters written on them. Invite students to select a bean and put it in the right spot. Have students identify the letter that they are sorting.