Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Interacting With Plural Nouns
Students will be able to identify and use regular and irregular plural nouns.
- Explain that most nouns are made plural by adding "s." However, there some nouns that are exceptions to that rule
- Tell students to take out some writing materials. Explain that they will be exploring how to make regular and irregular nouns plural.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Hand out three sticky notes and a piece of paper to each student. Use a document camera to demonstrate how the notes will be used in the upcoming activity.
- Place one sticky note on a piece of paper and label it: Regular nouns - Add 's'.
- Place another sticky note and label it: Irregular nouns ending in sh, ch, s, x, or z - Add 'es'.
- Place the last sticky note and label it: Other irregular nouns.
- Leave the example up on the document camera for students to use as reference.
- Have students repeat your model.
- Walk around as students work, and check for correct labels.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Guide students through the next step, during which they'll write examples underneath each sticky note.
- Start with the Regular noun note. Ask for a volunteer to give an example of a noun that's made plural by adding an "s."
- Lift up the note and write the plural version of the noun underneath the note.
- Repeat this process with the other two sticky notes.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Instruct students to write at least four examples underneath each note.
- Enrichment:Advanced students should write more than four examples under each note. Extend the lesson by asking them to select two words from each note and use them in sentences at the bottom of their sheet.
- Support:Allow students to refer to dictionaries if they need help with spelling. Struggling students may work in pairs to generate more examples.
- Collect students' papers at the end of the activity. Review them later to assess understanding.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Discuss the different plural noun endings as a class.