Identify & Match Colors
Students will be able to identify and name the colors.
- Sing a song about colors to remind your students of the names they will be using in this activity, alternatively, have your students Watch a video that reviews the names of colour.
- Show students the materials they will be using today.
- If you are using a theme, review a little about it now.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- For more colour name review, read a book about colors.
- Show students the cutouts in each colour and say the name of the colour.
- Show students the craft sticks with the colour names.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Once you have gone through all of the colors, mix up the cutouts and ask students to name the colour as you hold it up.
- Display the craft sticks and see if students are able to identify the colors.
- Assist students when needed.
- Orally name a colour and ask the students to pick the corresponding cutout.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Pair students up and have them work on matching the craft sticks to the cutouts.
- Encourage students to name the cutout as they pick it up.
- Allow for some time for the students to work on their own.
- Enrichment:Have advanced students quiz each other using the cutouts and craft sticks.
- Support:For students still learning the colors, have them pick each cutout and say the name. Show them other objects around the classroom with the same colour to reinforce colour names and identification.
- As the students work, observe them to see if they are able to do this activity with ease.
- See if they need help or if there are other students assisting them.
- Ask questions as you walk around to gauge how well the students have understood the activity.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call the students back into a group.
- Review the activity by matching up the cutouts and craft sticks again in front of the class.
- Ask students to name the colour of objects in the classroom.