Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Ice Cream Addition to Five
Students will be able to add numbers to five.
- Gather the students where they can see the interactive whiteboard.
- Load the Ice Cream Addition Song.
- Watch the song two times while encouraging your students to sing along.
- Explain to your students that they will be adding numbers to five with pretend ice cream cones.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Instruct your students to form a circle.
- Sit in the circle with your students.
- Show your students your own precolored and cut ice cream activity.
- Put one pretend scoop of ice cream on your cone.
- Ask your students how many scoops you have.
- Put one more scoop on the cone. Again, ask your students how many scoops are on your cone.
- Continue by adding different variations of scoops to the cone.
Guided practise(20 minutes)
- Hand out the Ice Cream Addition worksheet.
- Instruct your students to quickly colour and cut out the shapes.
- Give your students 5–7 minutes to complete this task.
- Direct your students to throw away their scraps and bring their ice cream pieces back to the circle.
- Ask your students to put one scoop on their cones. Then, have them add two more, and ask them how many scoops there are and what the new number sentence is.
- Repeat this with different numbers and variations.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Give your students the Ice Cream colour by Number worksheet.
- Explain that they will be solving the addition sentences and writing the answer on the line.
- Model how to use the ice cream scoops (circles) to solve the problems. For example, you would solve 1 + 2 =____ by laying out one scoop and then adding two more.
- Tell your students that they will be coloring the picture after solving the maths problems.
- Give your students a colour chart to determine the colour words. Give your students an addition chart to self-check their work.
- Ask your students to write out different ways to make 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1. Encourage these students to use simple drawings to illustrate their maths sentences.
- Observe the students as they work. Look for students who are following directions, remaining on task, answering the addition problems correctly, and coloring the picture in the corresponding colors given on the chart.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask the students to hold up their ice cream pictures so that everyone can share and compare.
- Call on students to give the correct answers and colors for the picture.
- Play the addition song one more time. Encourage your students to dance and sing along with the song!