Students will be able to sequence the alphabet and count objects up to 10.
- Ask students to name the holiday that is coming up.
- To activate prior knowledge, have students share their favorite Halloween activities. Allow time to exchange stories.
- Ask students what their Halloween costumes will be this year.
- Tell the class that today they will be learning about Halloween!
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- To engage students, read The Runaway PumpkinAloud.
- Ask students questions throughout the story to check for their comprehension.
- Explain that today students will be completing a variety of Halloween themed centers.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Explain the following centers to the class. Split the class up into 3 groups.
- Rotate about every 10 minutes or however long you feel appropriate for your class.
- Centre 1: Have students complete the Halloween Alphabet worksheet. When they are finished, allow them to colour the page.
- Centre 2: The students will be completing a pumpkin exploration centre. Each student should be given an empty water bottle that will serve as the pumpkin and shredded orange paper. Instruct students to stuff the water bottles with the shredded paper. Then, sprinkle pumpkin seeds inside the bottle. Give each student a large pair of tweezers and have the students work to pull the shredded paper out of the bottle in an attempt to get to the pumpkin seeds out. When they have succeeded, give them magnifying glasses to view the pumpkin seeds with.
- Centre 3: Place the students at centre 3 in front of 10 pumpkin cutouts that are numbered 1-10. Give them a handful of pumpkin seeds and have them put the correct number of seeds on the corresponding pumpkin's number.
Independent working time(30 minutes)
- Allow students to independently complete the centers. Each student should have a chance to try each centre. Monitor student progress throughout the lesson.
- Enrichment:For centre 3, give advanced students pumpkins that are numbered 1-20 to challenge them.
- Support:For students having difficulty completing the Halloween Alphabet worksheet, give them an alphabet line to use as a reference.
- Assess students throughout the activity to test comprehension of activities and concepts being taught.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- To finish the lesson, ask students to share their favorite centre and tell why.