Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Fall Weather Fun
Students will be able to identify weather changes in the fall. Students will be able to identify the colors the leaves change to in the fall. Students will be able to make observations. Students will be able to listen to a story and answer questions about it.
- Tell the students that today, they will be learning about the season of fall.
- Ask students if they know another name for this season.
- To assess prior knowledge, ask students about activities that they do in the fall, such as apple picking or pumpkin picking.
- Take a walk outside. Have the class make observations about what they see. For example, have them note if leaves are falling and changing colors.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- When you return inside, have students discuss what they saw. Note that in the fall, people begin wearing warmer clothing because the climate is changing.
- Then, read Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf.
- Ask students if they saw any red or yellow leaves outside. Ask them if they noticed any trees that were mentioned in the book.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Give your students The Seasons worksheet to complete.
- Direct your students to cut the orange leaves from page 3 of this packet.
- Discuss why the snowflakes and green leaves would not fit on the fall tree. Ask your students to identify what season these belong in.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Have students glue the orange leaves on the tree.
- Remind the class that they can place the leaves either on the tree or on the ground since the leaves fall during this season.
- Enrichment:Have students colour and draw additional pictures on The Seasons worksheet that would fit in with the fall season.
- Support:Have students collect leaves outside to glue on their fall tree pictures.
- To assess student knowledge of the fall and the weather that occurs in the fall, have them complete the Fall Weather worksheet. Instruct them to select the appropriate clothing for this season.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask students to identify what season comes after the fall.
- Tell students that when that season arrives, they can fill in the winter tree on the worksheet.