EL Support Lesson
Two Letters Together
Students will be able to identify words beginning with the “sh” diagraph and recognise which letters make this sound.
Students will be able to identify and sort words containing the "sh" digraph using visual support.
- Gather the class together for a read-aloud.
- Introduce the text, A House For Hermit CrabBy Eric Carle, by completing a brief picture walk and asking students to think about what kind of house a crab might live in.
Building academic language
- Read aloud the text. Pause as you read to emphasize the ShSound in the word Shell.
- Ask students to think about the house that Hermit Crab lived in ("shell") and to practise saying the word aloud as a group.
- Explain that today you will be learning about the letter team that makes the ShSound, just like in the word Shell.
- Write the letter S on the board and have students say the letter name and sound aloud chorally after you. Repeat with the letter H.
- Demonstrate writing ShTogether on the board and tell students: "When the letters S and H are put together in a word, they blend together to make a new sound. The sound is the ShSound, just like in the word Shell!"
- Pass out the mini whiteboards and markers and have students practise writing the letters S and H on their boards and making quiet ShSounds.
- Display the vocabulary cards and have students practise saying each of the words aloud.
- Create a class anchor chart titled "Sh Words" and add the cards to the chart.
- Ask students to turn and talk to a partner to share additional words that begin or end with the ShSound.
- Display the ShH Words: A Word Family worksheet and model how to find and sort the ShWords.
- Pass out worksheets for students to complete independently.
- When finished, have students turn and share their worksheet with a partner. Invite students to practise using the words from the worksheet in a silly sentence or short story.
Additional EL adaptations
- Work with a smaller group of students to sort picture and word cards containing words with ShAnd words without. Ask students to find and circle the letters S and H in each word.
- Have students draw or write additional words that contain ShOn the back of their worksheets.
- Encourage students to write and share a sentence using one of their words.
Formative Assessment of Academic Language(5 minutes)
- Circulate around the room as students share with their partners to assess if students are able to identify the letters S and H and the words that begin or end with the ShSound.
- Collect student worksheets for additional assessment.
Review and closing(3 minutes)
- As a closing activity, do a quick thumbs up or thumbs down for words that have theShSound in them.
- If extra time remains, pass out the Shell Coloring Page.