EL Support Lesson
Students will be able to write the numerals from 0-20, and draw an accurate amount of items for each number.
Students will be able to count from 0-20 and explain how to match items to the associated written numeral using tactile supports.
- Gather the students together and introduce the book, Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street.
- Use the Vocabulary Cards and Glossary to introduce key vocabulary from the text. Display the cards one at a time and ask students to turn and talk to a partner to share what they see. Have pairs share out and review definitions.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read the book using an interactive read aloud model. As you read, pause to note the number highlighted on each page and ask students to share out any observations they have about the story.
- Model how to count the objects on each page by pointing to each object and counting them aloud.
- Write the numbers 0-20 on the board, modeling how to form each number correctly. Ask the students to repeat the motions with you by writing each number in the air with their fingers and saying it aloud.
- Use counting manipulatives to model how to count objects.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Pass out personal whiteboards and counting manipulatives.
- Write a number on the board between 0-20, say the number aloud and have students repeat if after you. Tell the students to practise writing the number on their whiteboards. When they finish, ask them to hold up their whiteboards for you to check.
- Instruct students to count out the corresponding number of objects using the counting manipulatives.
- Tell students to turn and talk to a partner to check their partner's work to see if they counted out the correct number of objects.
- Ask students to give a thumbs up when they have finished.
- Repeat with additional numbers as time allows.
Group work time(10 minutes)
- Explain that now students will practise counting traffic ConesAnd writing numbers.
- Review the worksheet instructions and send students to work independently.
Additional EL adaptations
- Create a smaller teacher-led group for students to engage in additional practise and complete the worksheet collaboratively.
- Invite students to count aloud in their home language (L1).
- Ask students to turn and talk to a partner to share how they know the number they wrote matches the number of items on the worksheet.
- Invite students to practise writing numbers greater than 20.
- Model what "checking each others work" looks like with a student volunteer.
- Pair students with a partner and have them trade worksheets. Ask students to check each others work and explain to their partner how they know they wrote the correct number for each group of items.
- Circulate around the room to assess if students are able to accurately count the objects and write the corresponding number.
- Ask guiding questions to further assess students' understanding of the content. For example, "What number is this? Where can you find it written? How can you check?"
Review and closing(2 minutes)
- Gather students together and celebrate their success.
- Pass out personal whiteboards and say a number aloud. Then, have students write the number and hold up their boards.
- Display a pile of counting manipulatives and say, "How many beads do I have? Can you help me count them?"
- Count one bead at a time, inviting the students to chorally count with you. When finished, record the number on the board, have students repeat the sentence, "There were ____Beads total."