Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
EL Support Lesson
Sight Word Notes
Students will be able to read year one sight words and use them in the context of a sentence.
Students will be able to identify grade level words within sentences using visual and written supports.
- Prewrite a short note to the class that includes several familiar sight words.
- Introduce the lesson by saying, "Look! There is a note for you all on the board. Remember a note or letter is one way we can communicate with our friends. Let's read this note together."
- Read aloud the note to the class, making sure to model using both fluency and expression as you read.
Building academic language
- Invite the students to read the note a second time along with you. This time point to each word as you read, and make sure to read slowly, continuing to model reading with both fluency and expression.
- Explain that today, students will get to practise writing their very own notes to a family member.
- Review the target vocabulary words by providing student-friendly definitions using the Vocabulary Cards and Glossary.
- Ask the class to help you identify the sight words in your note.
- Have students come up and circle any of the sight words in your note.
- Practise reading the note aloud, pointing out any missing sight words.
- Explain that now students will get to use sight words in their very own notes to their family.
- Pass out copies of the Vocabulary Cards (for students to reference) as well as unlined paper and pencils to each student.
- Have students work independently to write a letter to a family member using at least four of the target sight words.
Additional EL adaptations
- Work with a small group of students to write a shared letter to another class of students. Have students practise identifying and reading the sight words to include, using the Vocabulary Cards as reference.
- Ask students to write either a second or longer note using additional sight words and/or longer sentences.
Formative Assessment of Academic Language(5 minutes)
- Collect student work samples to check if students are able to utilize the target sight words in a letter format.
- As students are at work, walk around and assess if they are able to read and write the target sight words in their letters.
Review and closing(3 minutes)
- Have students turn and talk to share their letter with a peer.
- Review that the more sight words you know, the easier it is to read and write!
- Celebrate the hard work of the students and encourage them to decorate envelopes for their letters.