EL Support Lesson
Students will be able to use picture clues to determine words in texts.
Students will be able to predict words in a text using sentence frames and visual supports.
- Gather the class together for a read aloud.
- Display the cover of the read-aloud text and ask students what they think the book might be about. Invite students to turn and talk to share their ideas with a partner.
Building academic language
- Explain that students just made a prediction based on the picture on the cover.
- Tell students that pictures can help us learn about a story, both to guess what might happen next and also help us decode confusing or challenging words.
- Display the vocabulary cards and provide student-friendly definitions for the target vocabulary.
- Read aloud first few pages of text, pausing to model a think-aloud of how to use picture clues to predict what will happen next in the story (e.g., "I see the hen holding grain, I wonder if she is going to make something.").
- Continue reading the text. Pause in the middle of the text and have students turn and talk, using the picture clues to make a prediction of what will happen next in the story. Provide students with the sentence frame: I see a . I predict will happen next.
- If time allows, can have students draw their predictions on an index card.
- Finish reading the text.
- Ask each pair to share out if their predictions were correct. Provide sentence frames for them to use: My prediction was correct/not correct because...
Additional EL adaptations
- Gather a smaller group of students together and have them practise making predictions and identifying confusing words using levelled readers.
- Provide additional practise by handing out levelled reader's and having students share their predictions with a peer.
Formative Assessment of Academic Language(5 minutes)
- As students are working in their pairs, listen to their use of the vocabulary words and ability to make predictions based on the story.
- Take note of any students who are struggling to connect the pictures with the story and/or confused about predictions. Pull these students aside for follow- up.
Review and closing(3 minutes)
- Gather the class back together and review the importance of pictures in a text. Remind students that they can use the pictures to help them decode or read unknown of confusing words, and make predictions of what might happen next.