Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Easter Egg Patterns
Students will be able to create a 2-D shape pattern.
- Gather the students together and say, “Today you are going to hear a story about a spring holiday that some of you might be celebrating: Easter! One of the stories about Easter includes the Easter Bunny. Listen to this story about the Easter Bunny.”
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read aloud the book, The Best Easter Eggs Ever! By Jerry Smath
- Pause as you read to point out the different patterns the assistants use as they compete in the Easter Bunny’s contest.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Ask the students to imagine that they are the Easter Bunny and need to find a new pattern to decorate the eggs.
- Explain or review that a PatternIs a design that repeats using the same shapes. Draw an AB and an ABC pattern on the board to demonstrate.
- Ask students to think of all of the 2-D shapes that they know, as they record the shapes on the board (circle, square, rectangle, triangle, heart, star, diamond, etc.).
- Have students help you choose two shapes to use in your pattern. Invite students to say the pattern aloud as you draw it on the board (e.g., circle, heart, circle, heart) then say, “This is called an AB pattern, because there are two repeating shapes. If I add a third shape, like a diamond to make it circle, heart, diamond, circle heart, diamond then it would be called an ABC pattern.”
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Explain to the students that they will now get to create their very own egg patterns for the Easter Bunny’s contest.
- Tell students that they will get to make one egg with an AB pattern and one egg with an ABC pattern.
- Pass out the Egg Pattern worksheets to each student to complete independently.
- Have students make one AB pattern and support them to choose two 2-D shapes for use in the pattern.
- Encourage students to create an additional pattern.
- Ask students to describe their egg patterns. Check if students are able to differentiate between an AB and an ABC pattern.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have students share their favorite (of their two) egg patterns with the class.
- Display all of the egg patterns for the students to share with their classmates.