Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Draw to the Music
Students will be able to use adjectives and pictures to describe music.
- Play a snippet of a song to the class. Ask students how the song makes them feel. Write students' responses on the board.
- Now play the same snippet of the song and ask students to describe how it sounds. Write students' responses on the board.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Tell students that the words they use to describe how the music sounds are adjectives. Explain that AdjectivesAre describing words.
- Tell students that adjectives are one way to describe music. Adjectives can be used to give a DescriptionOf, or describe, how music sounds and how it makes listeners feel.
- Explain that pictures can also be used to express how music makes you feel or what it makes you think of. Play the same song and model how to draw a picture of how it makes you feel or what it makes you think about.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Play a new song. As you listen, draw on the board. Ask students to describe what you drew and explain why you chose to draw what you did.
- Model how to use adjectives to describe the music that you listened to. As appropriate, connect the adjectives you used with the pictures you drew.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Hand out pieces of paper to each student. Play a song for the class, and have students draw how the music makes them feel or what it makes them think of.
- At the end of the song, have students turn to a partner to share adjectives about the song. Instruct students to share their pictures too, explaining the connection between their drawings and the music.
- Repeat the same steps with a different song.
Support:Give students a list of adjectives to use when describing music. Prompt students to use one of the choices from the list when talking about the songs.
Enrichment:Have students who are ready for a challenge use adjectives to describe their partners' drawings.
- Assess how students are using adjectives.
- Note how closely students are listening to and connecting with the music.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have students share their pictures and adjectives with the class.