Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Students will be able to identify the following parts of speech within a sentence: noun, verb, adjective, adverb, preposition, and conjunction.
- List some different parts of speech (noun, adjective, verb, adverb, preposition, and conjunction) on the board. Write an example next to each one.
- Briefly review the definition of each part of speech. A NounRefers to a person, animal, place, thing, or idea. An AdjectiveDescribes the state of a noun. A VerbRefers to an action. An AdverbDescribes how a verb is performed. A PrepositionRefers to location, either in space or time. A ConjunctionConnects words and phrases.
- Review the forms of the verb "be" (am, is, are, was, and were), then write them down on the board as well.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Hand out copies of the Sentence Diagramming practise worksheet to your students.
- Display your worksheet using a document camera, then complete problem number 1. Remember to follow the worksheet instructions and narrate as you work. Have students follow along on their own copies.
- As a class, complete problem number 2.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Have students work on the rest of the worksheet.
- Sit with struggling students and work with them.
- Have an answer sheet prepared for students to check their work once they finish.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Hand out the copies of the Diagramming Sentences: Poetry worksheet.
- Have students complete the worksheets without your assistance. Students who complete the worksheet before time is up can work on the
- Enrichment:* Students who finish their Diagramming Sentences: Poetry worksheets early can work on the Diagramming Sentences: Secret Garden worksheet.
- Support:Provide one on one assistance to struggling students as they complete their worksheets.
- Review the answers to the Diagramming Sentences: Poetry worksheet.
- Collect all worksheets at the end of the exercise, and review them later to assess student comprehension.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Allow students to ask questions and give comments about the lesson.