Students will be able to create dances to represent dreams.
- Ask students to share some of their dreams for the future. Ask them what they would like to be when they get older and what they would like to accomplish.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Read aloud A Dance Like StarlightBy Kristy Dempsey.
- Have students turn to a partner and share what happened in the story.
- Ask students to share their retellings with the class, writing key details on the board.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Tell students that the girl from A Dance Like StarlightWent after her dream of being a ballerina.
- Explain that dance can be used to express emotions and dreams, just like the dreams of the girl in the book.
- Pick a dream of yours to represent through a dance (e.g. being a teacher). Compose a short dance to represent this dream.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Have students create their own dance to represent a dream.
- Hand out paper to students and have them draw pictures to record the steps of their dances.
Support: Provide more explicit modeling about possible dance moves that can be used to represent different dreams.
Enrichment:Have students write words to describe each step of their dance.
- Assess how students are composing dances and how they are representing their dreams through movement.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on pairs to share their dances with the class and explain how they relate to their dreams for the future.