Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Edible Tree
Students will be able to follow directions. Students will be able to identify letters. Students will be able to count to 10.
- Introduce the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
- Explain that students will be creating their own Chicka Chicka Boom Boom trees to eat today.
- Read the book to your students.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Show your students each of the ingredients that they will be using to create their trees.
- Draw a picture of what their final products could look like.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Give each student a plate, pretzel rod, lettuce leaf, and a spoonful of cream cheese. These will serve as the backdrop, the trunk, the green part of the tree, and the glue, respectively.
- Direct your students to "glue" the pretzel rod tree trunk and the tree lettuce leaf onto the paper plates in the shape of a tree.
- Give each student 10 alphabet letter snacks, and have everyone dip their letters into the cream cheese and place them anywhere on their trees.
- Ask each student to identify the letters they found after they have accomplished counting to 10.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Ask your students to say what letters they chose.
- Talk about the letters that the student chose, asking questions about the letters. Possible questions include: Are any of the letters in your name? Are any of the letters in your friend's name?
- Enrichment:Ask your students to take 20 alphabet letter snacks, and have them identify the letters to partners.
- Support:Ask your students to count five alphabet letter snacks. Identify which letters the student chose if they are not recognizing them on their own yet.
- Observe if students are counting 10 letters.
- Observe if students are identifying letters, and note how many and which letters they are identifying.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- While your students are eating their Chicka Chicka Boom Boom trees, discuss their favorite parts of the story.