Understanding Character Traits, Understanding Plot Lesson Part III
Students will be able to recognise character traits and use these traits to compare and contrast main characters.
- Tell students to get out their workbooks and pencils and turn to page 9.
- Explain to your students that today they are going to be determining character traits from context clues.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read and complete pages 9 and 10 of the workbook with your class.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Instruct students to complete pages 11 and 12.
- Walk around the classroom, observing and helping as needed.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Instruct students to complete pages 13 and 14 independently.
- Students in need of support may work in small groups or one-on-one with the teacher. Students in need of support may create anchor charts to depict character traits for each character with the aid of a teacher.
- Have advanced students create anchor charts for each character.
- Grade pages 9–14 to check for student understanding.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Make sure that everyone has turned in their work.
- Review with the students the differences and similarities evident in the main characters they read about.